The British (Imperial) Distinguished Conduct Medal

The British (Imperial) Distinguished Conduct Medal

The need for a gallantry medal for other ranks was first recognised during the Crimean War, although previously the Meritorious Service Medal  had very occasionally been awarded for gallantry in the field. Since 1916 the DCM has ranked as a superior decoration to the Military Medal - It was thus the second highest award for gallantry in action (after the Victoria Cross) for all army ranks below commissioned officers and was available to navy and air force personnel also for distinguished conduct in the field.


A silver, laurelled bar was awarded for a subsequent act or acts of distinguished conduct in the field. Prior to 1916 these were plain dated bars. 


A circular, silver medal, 1.42 inches in diameter.


Originally a trophy of arms but, since 1902, the effigy of the reigning sovereign. 


The reverse shows FOR/DISTINGUISHED/CONDUCT/IN THE FIELD in four lines, with a horizontal line through a small oval wreath below the wording. Some Edward VII medals had the word CANADA above the inscription.


An ornate scroll suspender is attached to the medal by a single-toe claw.


The regimental or equivalent number, rank, initials, surname and unit of the recipient are impressed in plain block capitals around the rim of the medal.


The crimson ribbon is 1.25 inches wide with a dark blue central stripe (0.375).


The DCM was created on 04 December 1854, because of the Crimea War .






Back to homepage Back to homepage Back to homepage s